Wednesday, August 4, 2010

THIS GENERATION THINKS THEY INVENTED THE WHEEL


.....but they did not invent cardiovascular exercise. When Violet regaled me with her stories of afternoons spent in the dance studio taking ZUMBA classes I simply smiled to myself. How many years ago did I purchase the book for Jane Fonda's workout or enroll in my own jazzercise classes? Thirty years ago I, too, was extremely interested in all things new and exciting....a dance class, movie star's theory on exercise or latest movement to music fad. anything to (try) to make exercise fun.

I have to admit, having danced in high school, the exercise while dancing faze was the longest lived for me. Dancing and having fun with music was the simplest and most consistent of my cardiovascular improving trials.

My mother probably thought at the time that jazzercise and books with video cassettes showing us how to exercise was just about as silly as I deem Zumba to be. They played sports in the fifties or simply walked were they wanted to go instead of driving everywhere.

Who knows what they will come up with next? The pharmaceutical companies have become rich by developing pills to be taken for cardiovascular health. Or at least to combat the effects of poor cardiovascular health. I cannot imagine that heart health will EVER be that easy. I wish that it were but don't believe that it ever will be.


So whatever the next generation comes up with maybe we should give it a try. Whatever keeps us moving and dancing, I'm all for it!

3 comments:

  1. And then, there was the Cambridge Diet. I'm still not sure that my liver isn't damaged...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come everyone always comments on your posts and not mine. signed, jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember Colleen and me jazzercising with you - even with leotards and headbands.
    Please tell me there's a picture somewhere.

    ReplyDelete