Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Se Habla Espanol? by Violet



I am proud to say that I am now a San Marcos citizen- and I'm lovin' it. Though I have not yet mastered the #1 language here- I hope to become fluent on being an independent lady lawyer in this small Texas town.

It was kinda hard to leave the nest.. and the free food- but this is my first "college" experience away from home and I'm finding out how to be alone for the first time in my life.

After graduation and that horrible Bar Examination- I moved down to San Marcos to start practicing criminal law with my uncle Tom at the Law office of Tom E. Garner. Or as my mother likes to call it "TGLO" for short. I've been quickly learning the ropes, meeting the right people and greasin' the wheel for when I start on court appointed cases.

Besides enjoying actually working and using my degrees, I also love this city. It's so full of culture, Texan hospitality, and outlet malls. Per Ace's request, I'm trying to find the best street tacos and the best Mexican fare in the city for his next visit. The bar-b-que is also out of this world. But enough about food...



I really had no idea how much I would enjoy alone time. I have yet to make serious friends down here because I'm having too much fun learning more about myself. Going to sleep early, watching movies alone, taking time to read- I missed all of these activities in law school and undergrad. I've been able to start the process of de-cluttering my life- digging through packed boxes and tote bags and throwing away alot of things that need to be thrown away.

As I've discussed with mom- I think this is the first time in my life where I've been able to give any life decisions some actual thought. I've always been on the go, and finally I can learn more about myself and have the time to be introspective. Not only has it given me more time with God, but it's also given me more time to ponder things. I've gotten completely different meanings out of parts of scripture that I never saw anything in before- I've been able to think through parables and lessons and I actually have time with no excuses.

I know as I become more rooted in the city, things will pick up once again. But I hope that as I continue to live alone- I continue to discover myself as an independent lady lawyer and thrive in this wonderful slow pace that matches the city.

1 comment: