Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Texas Western Swing Festival by Violet




One of the great things about San Marcos is that there's always a party to go to. Living on the square makes my habitation right in the middle of all of the action. I get to hear music playing all hours of the day- but I have learned to sleep through it and appreciate it during the waking hours.




Well last weekend was one of my first weekends to stay in San Marcos and not go back home to Waco. And I was determined to make it a memorable first weekend. When my aunt sent me an email about the festival to be held in town square- I knew that I would make it the focus of the weekend. After going to sleep early on friday, I woke up early on Saturday to investigate the fair grounds. Later that afternoon I went to see the blue hairs in square dancing costumes, blacksmiths, covered wagons and a beautiful farmers market. That night I strolled down to the fish fry and enjoyed all-you-can-eat catfish while listenin' to old western swing.

Who knew discovering things by yourself could be this much fun? I loved taking everything in. There were people from all over Texas that came to hear their favorite western swing song, dance, and eat wonderful Texan foods. Old and young alike, these people were enjoying a leisurely Saturday starting in the square and ending down by the river.





Things like this are why I want to spend more weekends in my new town of San Marcos, Texas. The culture and people of this town are so rich- but more importantly - it's new to me, and that's just about as exciting as the most historical town in Texas.

I can't wait till the next hoe-down.

No comments:

Post a Comment