Tuesday, June 29, 2010

DIAMOND JUBILEE FOR THE QUEEN OF OUR HEARTS


My mother turns 75 years old on July 1st. She should be greatly celebrated. Not only because she has managed to stay alive for 75 years, but because she has done it with joy and determination unmatched in anyone else I know.

This woman was born in Michigan,worked on a farm, married a military man when she was a mere 17 years old, follow him 1000 miles south to live with his parents and delivered her first of five children on her 18th birthday. Happy Birthday, indeed! The importance of family to this woman cannot be overstated. This woman has spent her entire life doing for and loving others. Our family is as close and loving as it is BECAUSE of my mother. She deserves all of the credit. Whether she admits it or not.

My mother is a diminutive woman, but what she lacks in physical size she makes up for in sheer will and energy. She raised five children and saw them all achieve what she was unable to...a high school and college diploma.... many even went on to earn advanced graduate degrees. Our education was important to her and she would spend countless hours quizzing us on vocabulary, history and math. As her oldest children started college, she also worked to complete her GED and take courses in college. Something she said that she thought she would or could never do. She helped my father earn his BBA from Baylor while he attended night school in the 50's, my brothers earn their degrees in the 70's and my sisters and I in the 80's. She says, and rightfully so, that she has six degrees from Baylor...just not any with her name on them. I think my entire family would agree that hers is the name that should appear first. For without her love, support, and persistent none of us would have achieved all that we have.

She was a young mother, she always said that she grew up with her children. Her grandchildren came along at just about the time that her own nest was emptying. She was a grandmother at age 40 and relished her new found role. Nothing suits her more than being the Grandma and Nana of our growing brood. The second generation numbers 13 now and the third generation 2. She is always available for lunch or shopping with any of her grandchildren that call. She is always available for anything for her grandchildren.

My mother's legacy will live on long after she has hugged her last grandchild. Hers is a legacy of love and family. A legacy that is worth mentioning every day.....not just on her birthday. My mother is loved by many. My mother IS love.

1 comment:

  1. Great comments regarding a wonderful person.

    Enjoyed reading about the best mother-in-law that I have ever had......

    ReplyDelete