Thursday, July 8, 2010

FULLER FAMILY RETREAT


For the past eighteen years our family has taken a retreat and visited a resort in San Antonio. Even if we went somewhere else that year we would spend at least some time at the resort. Close enough to drive to -- when the kids were younger I would go with the children and Roger would follow when he could. Usually my sister and her family join us for a Cousin's Extravaganza, but this year the Fullers went solo.

I am continually amazed as the kids get older that they still want to go with the family for this low key vacation. Yet after 18 years, the memories only continue to grow and each child will not be the one to miss out. Each year I take a mental snapshot (of course there are numerous physical snapshots)when we are there just in case this is the last year they all want to be together--- I realize that they will grow up and move away, physically and emotionally. I try to prepare myself for that eventuality.

My idea of a vacation is lying on a deck chair reading magazines that I normally wouldn't and drinking fruity drinks. "Doing nothing" is an art form and I am still perfecting it. Just about got it down.

This is a time for me to renew and refresh for the year...no dishwasher to unload or laundry to fold. Just my children to love and enjoy. I always make the time to spend an afternoon with each child to reconnect with where they are at this time in their lives and where they want to be going. We discuss past successes and challenges and plan for future opportunities and goals. You can image that over the years these discussions have been varied with each offspring. Though, it should be noted that some things are experienced by each child at the same stage. Which makes me smile as my last, Harrison, brings up a challenge that he thinks to be uniquely his. Which it is...to him.

The younger two still run around the resort all day making new friends and taking part in the planned activities. They usually are taking part in a water volleyball game or a watermelon eating contest. The Fullers are competitive and if the word contest is used....we are in! This year Violet and Ace were parked by me in deck chairs in the sunshine. I can see that Violet, taking after her mother, uses this time for respite from her demanding clerkship and everyday responsibilities of a twenty something. Ace has decided that a jacuzzi/hot tub will definitely be a fixture in his future home. Smart guy. I will visit often.

Rarely do I have all of my babies together in one place anymore. Much less when all are in a good mood and in vacation mode. What a happy time for the Fuller Family. Maybe we can make it to nineteen years in a row next year. Here's hoping!

1 comment: