Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bob Loblaw's Law Blog by Violet


I absolutely love my clerkship this summer. Although most of my MBA friends, have “internships” or “residencies”, most law school students obtain “clerkships” for a summer hiatus between either their 1st and 2nd year, 2nd and 3rd year or both. Like most internships, these clerkships provide not only experience but also sometimes the prospect of future employment. However, times are tough, and many, many of my law school classmates are still unemployed after they pass the bar. But I still have a semester to worry about that right? I have to pass the Bar first.

Well the impetus for this entire blog this summer is to explain my experience outside of my MBA/JD educational experience and share my real work experience in my time as a Clerk of a law firm. Clerks are usually just researchers. We use our power and knowledge of education and solve some of the tough problems that cannot just be talked out with a slick lawyer tongue. However, I was hired specifically for the bankruptcy section- which I LOVE, and only do other legal work when I am not focused on Chapter 7, 11, or 13 bankruptcy plans.

I started working for my current firm back in February. I went in for an interview February 4th, and started two weeks later. I still remember it was the week of a huge finance test, because Nick stopped me in the hall because I was looking so frazzled (trying to start working 25 hours a week on top of taking midterms and finals, working for my graduate assistantship and clerking over at the law school for Professor Guinn) and asked if I needed someone to study with. Since the beginning with this firm, I was loaded up with work, and loved every minute of it. There are some lull weeks, but most of the time I have 5 or 6 legal projects at a time, and that is what I enjoy- because my brain can hop around on subjects, sleep on some, and pick them back up once I finish another menial one. So I started part time, hoping to get the summer gig, and once April rolled around I was asked how long I could work this summer, “every single day before practice court start” I replied. And I have, but for one day I took off for Fuller Family Retreat on the Fourth of July weekend and another day or two that I will take off to visit Missouri in a couple of weeks.


With last week being one of my busier weeks, I am surprised that this week has come to such a lull. I just finished two of the huge projects that I’ve been working on this week and I have absolutely nothing left to do. So as usual when I have nothing to do, I went to all of the floors starting with 6 and working my way up to 9- asking for work. I don’t particularly like asking for work, I’d rather it come to me- but at least this way I look eager. Usually I get something at the first floor I go to, but today I got a lot of ”let me think about what I have for you to work on and get back to you”- which means I got nothing now, but I’ll be hella busy later. So I got one letter to proofread, when I finally reached the ninth floor, but am sure that this means the rest of my week will be pleasantly busy.


I am really getting used to this 8-5 routine, or even sometimes 7-6 or 7, I like staying busy and I love the firm I am working for. Choosing to implement my law degree instead of just trying to go look for management jobs with the MBA was definitely the right decision. I enjoy the challenge of legal problems, and researching is basically like studying all day- which excites the nerd in me. I wish the looming practice court wasn’t in my near future, I feel about ready to be done with school (I know my parents have to be glad about that) and I am ready to be a big girl now.

Also- the title is an Arrested Development (sitcom) reference if you didn't catch it and think I'm crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment