Thursday, July 22, 2010

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER


Whoever names these days as "dog days" was very descriptive. I feel like I spend the entire month of July with my tongue out panting. Everywhere I go I am HOT! I have lived in Texas all of my life. You would think that I would get used to this muggy, hot weather. But, year after year, I continue to think that maybe this year will be different. Maybe this will be the year that I will be able to use my outdoor patio for more than just one month (April) of the year.

I actually grew up in a house without air conditioning. A fact that I simply cannot imagine now. If our cars had air conditioning in them back then, we never used it. I have vivid memories of riding in the backseat of our family car, with all the windows rolled down and the vents opened wide. Every hair on my head would be swirling around the car as if animated on its own. Oh, there was air in our car....it just wasn't "conditioned".

When did we all get so spoiled to constant a 70 degree temperature? Heating and Air Conditioning companies have us believing that we should keep our doors and windows buttoned up tight, conditioning our air to a constant and comfortable temperature. As a kid, we all slept with our windows thrown open wide, cool breezes waking us in the morning and the smells of wildflowers and freshly cut lawns....or even the nearby ranch's cattle ushering us into the day. The screens kept out the mosquitoes and bugs, God kept out the Bogey man. I never felt uncomfortable or afraid...of course Daddy was only on the other side of the wall, a few steps away. I remember the curtains actually blew in the breeze. What happened?

Last year our A/C unit had to be replaced. We limped along for a few week's trying to decide what was actually wrong with the unit and what direction to take in fixing it. Should we just replace compressor, add freon or replace the entire unit? But because we had had the screens removed from all of our windows ( they just look better) and most of the members of our family are allergic to pollen we sleep with our windows and doors closed and locked as usual. Well, many hot, sleepless nights and several thousands of dollars later we got cool again. I slept with ice bags laid across my body and everyone woke in grumpy moods. The lack of cool air put us all off of our game. I never use my car without using the a/c or the heater. "Artificial" air is the norm. I cannot even find the "vent" button on my newest car. Is there a way to get outside air into my car without turning on a fan or temperature button?

Air conditioning is probably the best invention since sliced bread in my opinion....as long as it keeps working. Although I feel a bit spoiled given how I grew up. But I really think that it is hotter now than it was thirty years ago. Of course, I can always blame global warming or old age. Both of which are a reality. Maybe I will just go find a sprinkler to run through.

1 comment: