Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Horse Races by Violet


Every year, the firm that I work for takes their summer clerks to the races. In particular, they take them to Lone Star Park in Fort Worth, Texas. This is such a great Southern Tradition, and a fun night out to be wined and dined. I had prepared for this day though, knowing that I KNEW nothing about placing bets (as a good Baptist girl, I had never gambled in my life), I asked a fellow MBA classmate who announces horse races. Not only did he send me 20 sheets worth of stats about the horses on each specific race, he also sent me his pics- which I held close until the betting began.

So the firm rented a 15 passenger van, and 10 grown adult men, one other female clerk, and I climbed into the caravan to trek to Fort Worth. It was fun to get to know the attorneys away from the office environment. This was a new fun, after work event, and it was even different than the relaxed lunches we take every day.

Once at the races, I loved it. This was a beautiful venue and was even bigger than I thought it would be. I loved the large stadium seating right in front of the tall windows overlooking the track. We were seated at dining tables with a perfect view of the track. We started eating some of the wonderful food, but I made sure to rattle off my bets before the first race started. I was pleasantly surprised with my winnings, because I am normally an extremely cautious person. I doubled my money, and stopped before the last race, because I didn’t want to lose any more.

Overall it was a wonderful new experience, and a great way to have fun with my co-workers and the firm that I have been working for since January.

No comments:

Post a Comment