Wednesday, July 28, 2010

DNR, DTR, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE????


I pride myself on staying au courant with the hip and groovy happenings on Baylor campus. I have four children of my own and see dozens of college aged kids every day at my office. Keeping up with the fashions is the easy part. Keeping abreast of the latest abbreviated sayings is the hard part.

Several years ago I was introduced to the term DTR (Define The Relationship). Supposedly couples who have been dating have these meetings. The least secure member of the couple will call the other and request (demand) a "DTR". Seems like they are making this whole relationship thing way too difficult. If you have to define the relationship maybe it is not worth defining.

I mistakenly used the term DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) one time when asking my daughter about one of her friend's boyfriends. Now, I am in my fifties and have signed these DNR documents for myself and my parents and made an honest mistake....the first time. After that I used the term to replace the intended abbreviation. Just to see if anyone noticed.

After all, this term may be closer to the truth. If one is having to ask to define the relationship that they are in, perhaps the relationship does not need to be resuscitated. Think about it.

Call me old-fashioned, call me uncool and unhip, but I speak the truth!

1 comment: